THW / GTO Workshops 2021
WASH Essentials: Latrine Construction in Emergencies
In 2021 the German Toilet Organization (GTO) and the German Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW) are offering again,courses on the construction of sanitary facilities in humanitarian aid. Both courses are in German language. There will be an online theory phase and an on-site construction phase for each course.
The hands-on course gives a comprehensive overview of the technical and non-technical challenges, potentials and intervention possibilities in the field of sanitation in humanitarian emergency and transitional aid. In addition to theoretical knowledge and extensive project examples, the course also includes the construction of common sanitary solutions for various emergency aid scenarios. The course is developed and conducted in close cooperation between THW and GTO.
Online theory: 10.03.21 – 15.04.21 (weekly sessions)
Construction phase at THW Bundesschule Neuhausen an den Fildern: Mo 26.04.21- Fr 30.04.21
|We 10.03.21||17:30 – 19:30|
|Th 18.03.21||08:00 – 17:00|
|Th 25.03.21||17:30 – 19:30|
|Th 01.04.21||17:30 – 19:30|
|Th 15.04.21||17:30 – 19:30|
Online theorie: 10.05.21 – 17.06.21 (weekly sessions)
Construction phase at THW Bundesschule Neuhausen an den Fildern: Mo 21.06.21- Fr 25.06.21
|Mo 10.05.21||17:30 – 19:30|
|Th 20.05.21||08:00 – 17:00|
|Th 27.05.21||17:30 – 19:30|
|Th 10.06.21||17:30 – 19:30|
|Th 17.06.21||17:30 – 19:30|
The workshop has a theory and a practice part.
- Technical overview of sanitation solutions in emergency and transitional aid
- Construction (practice) of context-specific sanitary solutions using locally available materials (incl. system selection, dimensioning, material science etc.)
- Use, operation and maintenance of sanitary facilities
- Emergency sanitation in urban areas
- Technical innovations in the sector
- WASH minimum standards in humanitarian aid
- Cultural and gender-specific challenges in the sanitation sector
- Hygiene education and non-technical measures
- Project examples and practical exercises
- Design of building plans
- The course is designed for volunteers of the THW, members of the WASH network and is open for international humanitarian aid workers.
- Previous knowledge of WASH and humanitarian aid is helpful
- The course language is German and English, course materials are provided in English.
- No course fees will be charged.
- Accommodation and meals during the 6-day course are provided by the THW Bundesschule.
- Travel costs to the THW Bundeschule in Neuhausen have to be covered by the participants themselves.
- The number of participants from the WASH network is limited to 6 persons.
- Applications from persons from WASH network member organisations and corresponding previous experience will be given priority for selection
- To register, please use the registration form below before the registration deadline.
- It is a practically oriented course with theoretical contents. In order to finish latrines, sessions can last into the evening.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: Alexandra Höhne (Email: alexandra.hoehne [at] germantoilet.org, Tel: 030-41934345)
One third of the places is reserved for participants from WASH network organisations. Exceptions to membership in the WASH network can be made if applicant is suitable. Persons with appropriate previous experience in the WASH field and in humanitarian aid please register via the link above to the registration forms. Volunteers of the THW please register directly via the THW and the federal school.
An initiative of