THW / GTO Workshops 2023
WASH Essentials: Latrine Construction in Emergencies
In 2023, the German Toilet Organization (GTO) and the German Federal Agency for Technical Relief (THW) will again offer a practical course on the construction of sanitary facilities in humanitarian aid.
This consists of an online module for teaching the theoretical content (on a total of 5 individual days spread over 2 months) and an associated 1-week practical module in presence on the premises of the THW training center in Neuhausen. Two alternative dates are available for the practical construction phase, depending on preference.
The online module provides a comprehensive overview of the technical and non-technical challenges, potentials and intervention options in the field of sanitation in humanitarian emergency and transitional aid, including numerous project examples from a wide range of contexts. In the subsequent practical module, participants will have the opportunity to develop sanitation solutions for different humanitarian contexts themselves and build them in teams under experienced guidance in the field.
The course is developed and implemented in close cooperation between THW and GTO. The construction phase in presence takes place with hygiene concept.
Online theory: 19.04.23 – 31.05.23 (weekly sessions)
The weekly sessions are complimented by individial home work and group exercises.
|Wednesday, 19.04.23||17:30 – 20:00|
|Wednesday, 26.04.23||08:00 – 17:00|
|Tuesday, 16.05.23||08:00 – 17:00|
|Tuesday, 23.05.23||17:30 – 20:00|
|Wednesday, 31.05.23||17:30 – 20:00|
The registration form can be found at the following link. Deadline for registration is April 02, 2023.
There are two date options to choose from for the 1-week practicum period this year.
June 19-23, 2023 or September 25-29, 2023.
The workshop has a theory and a practice part.
- Technical overview of sanitation solutions in emergency and transitional aid
- Construction (practice) of context-specific sanitary solutions using locally available materials (incl. system selection, dimensioning, material science etc.)
- Use, operation and maintenance of sanitary facilities
- Emergency sanitation in urban areas
- Technical innovations in the sector
- WASH minimum standards in humanitarian aid
- Cultural and gender-specific challenges in the sanitation sector
- Hygiene education and non-technical measures
- Project examples and practical exercises
- Design of building plans
- The course is designed for volunteers of the THW, members of the WASH network and is open for international humanitarian aid workers.
- Previous knowledge of WASH and humanitarian aid is helpful
- The course language is German and English, course materials are provided in English.
- No course fees will be charged.
- Accommodation and meals during the 6-day course are provided by the THW Bundesschule.
- Travel costs to the THW Bundeschule in Neuhausen have to be covered by the participants themselves.
- The number of participants from the WASH network is limited to 6 persons.
- Applications from persons from WASH network member organisations and corresponding previous experience will be given priority for selection
- To register, please use the registration form below before the registration deadline.
- It is a practically oriented course with theoretical contents. In order to finish latrines, sessions can last into the evening.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us: Alexandra Höhne (Email: alexandra.hoehne [at] germantoilet.org, Tel: 030-41934345)
Please register under this link
Please register under this link
One third of the places is reserved for participants from WASH network organisations. Exceptions to membership in the WASH network can be made if applicant is suitable. Persons with appropriate previous experience in the WASH field and in humanitarian aid please register via the link above to the registration forms. Volunteers of the THW please register directly via the THW and the federal school.
An initiative of